Artist: G Connor
19 1/2 x 27 inches (50 x 68 cm)
Description: In the late 1950s, the U.S. government approached The Greenbrier for assistance in creating an emergency relocation center to house Congress in the aftermath of a nuclear holocaust. The classified, underground facility, dubbed ""Project Greek Island,"" was built at the same time as the West Virginia Wing, an above-ground addition to the hotel, from 1959 to 1962. For thirty years, The Greenbrier owners maintained an agreement with the federal government that, in the event of an international crisis, the entire resort property would be conveyed to government use, specifically as the emergency location for the legislative branch. The underground facility contained a dormitory, kitchen, hospital and even a broadcast center for members of Congress. The latter had changeable seasonal backdrops to appear as if members of Congress were actually broadcasting from Washington, D.C. A 100-foot radio tower was installed some miles away for these broadcasts. The convention center, used by the Greenbrier guests for business meetings, was actually a disguised workstation area for members of Congress complete with hidden, 30-ton blast doors. The walls of the bunker were made of reinforced concrete designed to withstand a nuclear blast in Washington, D.C.
David Pollack Vintage Posters